CLICS is accessible from any computer connected to the Internet.
You can search and request from the catalog using any browser from any location. The catalog recognizes your home campus by your library barcode.
CLICS is the preferred choice for requesting books from CUNY Libraries.
At some campuses, you can use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to handle intercampus library requests. However, CLICS is easier to use, is faster, and is open to undergraduates. It also costs the libraries a lot less to fill book requests via CLICS. At campuses where you can use either CLICS or ILL, there may also be smaller limits on the number of concurrent Interlibrary Loan requests or fees charged to you.
More information on CLICS is provided by Circulation staff members.
Contact staff at the Circulation Desk at any of the CUNY Libraries if you have further questions about CLICS.
Use CUNY Libraries Inter-Campus Services (CLICS) to request an item from another CUNY Library.
If you find a book in the catalog that is not in the Brooklyn College Library but is available at another CUNY library, you can use CLICS to request that it be sent to our Library for you to pick up. You will be notified by email when the book is available.
To use CLICS, your e-mail address must be in your library circulation record. Stop by the Circulation Desk or call (718) 951-5335 to verify that it has been entered. An e-mail notification will be sent to you when the book is available. The book will be available to you within 24 to 48 hours of your request. If the book is not available, you will receive an e-mail notice.
Books may be renewed if certain criteria are met.
Brooklyn College books may be renewed up to three times. Books are renewable in person or online. Books are not renewable by telephone or mail.
Books may not be renewed if:
- The book has been placed on hold or recalled by another patron.
- There is a block on your Library record.
- The book is more than 5 weeks overdue.
- The renewal limit has been reached.
- Your ID card is not registered in the Library system.
Books may be renewed in person.
In person, book renewals can only be made by the lending library. In the Brooklyn College Library, books are checked out and renewed at the Circulation Desk, located near the front entrance of the library. In order to renew your book(s) in person, you must have a valid CUNY ID card. You must also be able to identify the specific book(s) for renewal.
For other reader categories, see Categories of Patrons. You may also contact the Circulation desk on the 1st floor, via CircDesk@brooklyn.cuny.edu, or at (718) 951-5335.
Books may be renewed online.
All CUNY circulating material (that is not overdue) may be renewed online:
- Open your browser and type in the URL: http://library.brooklyn.cuny.edu
- Click on Catalog.
- Click on My Account / Renew (top-right of page).
- Enter your 14 digit library barcode (beginning with 2) in the textbox marked Barcode. (Do not enter spaces or dashes.)
- As your Password, enter your 14 digital library barcode again. (NOTE: Your library barcode will remain your password unless you change it.)
- Then click on Log In.
(If you have never used the Brooklyn College Library, please go to the Circulation Desk and ask to have your patron record activated before attempting to log-on.)
When you are in your patron record, you may renew charged out material:
- Click on the underlined number to the right of Loans.
- Find the item(s) you wish to renew and check the appropriate box(es).
- From the orange menu at the top, choose Renew Selected.
- If your renewal is successful, the list of renewed books will display. Otherwise, an error message will show up.
When you are finished looking at your record, click on End Session or Logout (at the top).
Materials requested through CLICS usually arrive within 2-3 business days.
The time it takes for you to receive materials requested through CLICS depends on the day of the week and time of day you make the request. However, as part of the CLICS implementation, the CUNY libraries are all receiving daily inter-campus weekday pick-up and delivery service. Our aim is to gradually reduce delivery time to several days, excluding weekends and holidays. Our ability to achieve this goal will depend on the volume of requests as well as staff availability. Note that books requested from the Hunter Health Professions and the School of Social Work libraries will require additional delivery time since they are first sent to the main Hunter Library.
Requesting a book using CLICS takes only a few minutes.
- Begin your search by clicking on All CUNY Libraries in the catalog under "Select library."
- Once you have found the item that you need, click on Title Request in the orange bar toward the top of that item's record.
- Enter your 14 digit barcode number that is on the back of your valid ID card. (Do not include spaces or dashes.)
- Enter your password. If you have not created a password, enter your 14 digit barcode number again.
- The default pick-up location is Brooklyn College, which appears as Brooklyn on the list. However, the book can be delivered to any CUNY library.
EXCEPTION: You cannot request a Brooklyn College book to be pulled from our stacks and be delivered to the BC Library circulation desk.
- If you don't need the book after a certain date, enter that date in the format YYYYMMDD in Period of Interest field. Otherwise, leave it as is.
- Click on Go.
- You will see a confirmation message at the top of the page. If you wish, you may print this page. You will then receive notification (via email) when the item is available to be picked up.
Books can be returned to any CUNY Library.
Materials from any CUNY library that circulate for regular loan periods can be returned to any CUNY library. You do not need to go back to the library from which you borrowed the item(s).
NOTE: Special loan items (e.g., reserve and interlibrary loan items) must be returned to the library from which they were borrowed. This includes music items checked out from the Brooklyn College Library, which must be returned to the Music Library (2nd floor).
Late fines are paid to the library where material is returned.
You must pay library fines to the library to which you return the item(s), which can be any CUNY library.
NOTE: Local policies governing the payment of fines vary from library to library. Check with the staff at the Circulation Desk if you have any questions.
All circulating material may be borrowed through CLICS.
Only those items that circulate are eligible to be requested using CLICS. Other items (such as journals, reserve items, reference material, music scores, material from archives and special collections, and all DVDs and videos) are not eligible for CLICS requests.
CUNY students, faculty, and staff are eligible for CLICS.
CUNY undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff with active, unblocked library accounts have the privilege of requesting materials using CLICS.
If there is a problem with your CLICS request, you will be notified.
You will be notified if your request can't be filled by the library from which you requested it. You can try to request it again from another CUNY library.
You will be notified by email when the book is available.
To use CLICS, your e-mail address must be in your library circulation record. Stop by the Circulation Desk (1st floor) or call (718) 951-5335 to verify that it has been entered. An e-mail notification will be sent to you when the book is available.
Items returned late incur late fines.
Late fines at the Brooklyn College Library are:
- $0.10 per day for regular & 3-day Reserve loans
- $1.20 per hour for 2-hour Reserve loans
For more information, see Circulation policies. You may also contact the Circulation Desk (1st floor) via CircDesk@brooklyn.cuny.edu or at (718) 951-5335. (Non-receipt of overdue notices does not exempt the borrower from overdue fees.)